Thursday, November 8, 2007

QUALIFIED!

I went to Fairview Hospital in Minneapolis and had a full day of meetings and tests. The day started out with a meeting with the Audiologists to discuss whick brand implant I wanted. My testing from two years ago was still recent enough to use for qualifying so I didn't have to go through all that again. I chose Advanced Bionics Hires90. I will get two processors. I asked the cost of each processor and they said $7,000 EACH! Woooo!

the next hurdle was to get a CT Scan to determine if there were any problems with the Cochlea. It was found that I have Otosclerosis. That's an inheritable disease that cause scar tissue buildup and will make the surgury more difficult but it does not disqualify me as a candidate. So the Surgeon wanted an MRI to determine the extent of the disease so he can decide which ear to implant. Both of my ears are close to dead, so to speak.

The MRI was scheduled for 7 pm that evening. Meanwhile I had to see a "shrink" so he could check my mental state as far as expectations, support group, knowledge of the implant process and expected results. yada yada yada. He asked me if I had ever seen a "shrink" (easier to spell) before and I said once, for multiple personalities, but I'm totally cured. Then I proceded to argue with myself. Just kidding. I said no.

After that it was a 4 hour wait for the MRI. That took 45 minutes. Then at 8 pm we had a 2 1/2 hour drive home and I had to get up at 3:30 am to get ready for work. I was tired to say the least.

So as far as Fairview is concerned I am a candidate and surgury is schedules for December 31st. What a way to start the new year eh? Of course it's all dependant now on the insurance company approving it (fingers crossed).

Until then, it's work, work, work, and drinking homemade pumpkin beer. Ahhh, life is good!!!

No comments: